Saturday 7 May 2011

WFRP: Altdorf in Warhammer Online

I haven't tried Warhammer Online, since I haven't had the time or inclination. About the only reason I have any interest is that I want to walk the virtual streets of Altdorf. I found the video below that shows a bit what it's about.


It looks ok to me, but the streets feel too wide and clean, and it's not a very bustling environment. I had hoped for a more busy Altdorf. I realise that there are techincal limitations today, so my dream of a crowded Altdorf might just be a pie in the sky.

Still, it's an interesting look at the streets of Altdorf, albeit not something that entices me to look further at Warhammer Online.

UPDATE: Myrgrim posted a link to another, much more interesting video of Altdorf. So now I'm a little bit confused. Does anyone know if the first video above is from WAR? I believe it is, since the plaza with the statues in it is in there, but Myrgrim's link seems more like the real deal.



/Magnus

8 comments:

  1. I installed the 10 days trial about a year ago to do some sightseeing.

    Was kind of disapointed. Especially after seeing the great artworks they made for the game. (http://warhammeronline.com/conceptart/conceptArt_2007.php)

    The buildings are too big and look all the same. Seemed fake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nixx! Yeah, that was my impression as well. I also loved the concept art, it's amazing! But the finished game seems to have to take a lot of other things into consideration, so it looks just like any other fantasy MMORPG city.

    Come to think of it, the World of Warcraft cities sometime look more warhammery than Altorof in WAR.

    /Magnus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys,

    I don't know which game is it in this video but that's not at all Altdorf in WAR (maybe another warhammer game or a beta).

    Here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOdfdL7EUx8

    It's darker and it shows the roughness of the warhammer world.

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myrgrim!

    After watching the video you linked to, that seems more like the Altdorf we all know and love!

    I wonder where the shiny Altdorf of my video comes from ... ? I haven't played the game, so I can't judge if it's from another game, or from WAR.

    Thanks for the link! I'll update the post!

    /Magnus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, first Video isn't from WAR, but second one is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ithrothar! Thanks for weighing in! Hmmm I wonder why someone post a video that's not from the game. Curious.

    That said, the second looks a lot better.

    /M

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 1st video has the Neverwinter Nights interface so this is probably some mod.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Notice how tags in the first video reveal that it's in fact Neverwinter Nights 2 - most likely simply a custom user-made map. The latter vid is the real deal. If there's anything WAR did right, it was the scenery. I quite loved most locations I had a chance to visit during my oh-so-short romance with warhammer online - a game otherwise awfully flawed and disappointing. There's though a free trial up to level 10, so if you want to actually check it out - there's nothing in your way. Heck, it allows you to see both Altdorf and its chaos equivalent for yourself.

    ReplyDelete